Homecoming Etiquette: Do’s and Don’ts of Homecoming..

October 1, 2010 No Comments »

Do: Go to the football game

Even if you don’t like football, Homecoming is the one time of year where you can go and have fun. Everyone is pumped up and full of energy—rain or shine. It’s part of the Western experience. And even though a ticket costs $22, your time here is limited, so it’s worth it to splurge once a year.

Don’t: Fret if Western loses

I know this probably won’t happen, but in the event it does, stay calm. Remember, we’re out to celebrate the love we have for our school.

Do: Wear purple

This is a given. If you don’t wear purple, you will probably be yelled at — or shunned. The more you deck yourself out, the more fun it is. Purple. Purple. Purple.

Don’t: Wear another school’s colours

This is the worst thing you can do. Especially for those of you who have friends from other schools up for the weekend. Make sure you provide them with purple wear.

Do: Go to The Ceeps after the game

If you decide to venture downtown for Homecoming, The Ceeps is a great choice. It’s the oldest bar in London, and is the quintessential Homecoming hangout.  However, it will be packed as soon as the football game is over — so plan on going early. You wouldn’t want to be stuck at the Barking Frog all night.

Don’t: Misinterpret the term “Homecoming” and go home

I never understood why people plan to go home this weekend. If you do, you’ll miss out on the biggest, most fantastic celebration of purple pride.

Do: Eat throughout the day

If you are planning to drink all day, make sure you absorb some of that alcohol. I know it seems obvious, but I witnessed people pass out at last year’s football game. Going to a traditional pancake kegger in the morning is a good strategy to start your day off right. Just make sure you balance  your beer and pancake consumption.

Don’t: Drink too much too early

Unless you schedule in a nap at some point during the day, this is generally a bad idea. Many of you will attend keggers in the morning and will want to continue drinking at the bar. Pace yourself and you’ll have a much more enjoyable day.

Do: Prepare for rain

I learned this lesson last year. With the way the weather has been over the last week, I wouldn’t doubt the possibility of rain. A purple poncho would probably be the most ideal way to hide from the rain, but an umbrella and appropriate footwear are good ideas as well.

Don’t: Waste your time in bar lines

Many people try to go to a downtown bar for Homecoming. While it can be fun if you go early enough, waiting in line is a buzz kill. You have all year to go the bars, so if you see a long line-up, turn around and find a party instead.

Leave A Response