The new Western

October 5, 2010 4 Comments »

How feminine is Western? It’s not something most students would think to ask. But a massive rebranding strategy launched this summer intends to find out.

It’s part of a seven month, $265,000 study intended to overhaul Western’s brand using what some have called “unorthodox” methods. One part of the study was a survey sent out in July. It asked, in part, how feminine or masculine some universities are.

“Does it raise eyebrows? Yes. Does it work? Yes,” said Kevin Goldthorp, Western’s vice-president external, who has led the project since joining the University last year.

He called it the largest study Western has ever conducted into researching its brand. Past surveys asked about academics and student life. Goldthorp said this new approach gets down to an emotional level.

“None of us can define, in a sentence, what Western is,” Goldthorp said.

The research looks at rational and emotional opinions about Western. It also looks at feelings surrounding peer universities in Canada and the U.S. The cost of the project also covers international survey work, third-party sources and one-on-one interviews, according to Goldthorp.

The data will help Western form a kind of internal mission statement — an overarching “guide post” that will influence all of Western’s public messages, Goldthorp said.

“Every time we have to write a headline, write a story up for the Alumni Gazette, every day you visit the home page, we’ll make decisions based on the outcome of this research,” he said, adding everything from the tone of the words to the types of images Western uses will be influenced by these results.

The research and its price tag are being discussed just as Western is negotiating contracts with its largest faculty union, the University of Western Ontario Faculty Association. The group’s monthly publication, the Faculty Times, criticized the survey in their September issue.

They took a screenshot of the masculine-feminine question and asked whether this kind of information was worth the expense.

Faculty Times asks, are surveys like this really the place Western’s ‘scarce’ dollars need to go?” the publication read.

Rebecca Coulter, professor in the faculty of education and a UWOFA member, took Goldthorp and the administration to task at Western’s senate meeting last week, demanding to know the cost of the survey. She also wanted an explanation for the unorthodox questions, saying she received around 100 complaints from faculty and alumni.

“I think faculty originally treated it as just one of those ridiculous things that gets done. But as you begin to think about it […] it’s the principle of the thing,” she said after the meeting. “We lost nine people in the faculty of education in the last round of cuts.”

Goldthorp disclosed the $265,000 bill in a memo to the senate on Monday. He said the cost is an investment towards meeting Western’s fundraising goals.

“It will help us generate hundreds of millions of dollars more in this decade,” he said, referring to Western’s $500 million fundraising campaign, which launched a year ago under his watch.

But for UWOFA, the price tag carries a burden. Early in their negotiations with administration, UWOFA fired back against the idea that a salary freeze could be imposed on its members.

“Learning that [the survey] cost as much as it did is like putting salt on the wound,” Compton said. “What it indicates is that the University has money, they have quite a lot of it.”

Compton also criticized the research because the company hired to conduct the study has focused on the private sector.

He said it’s a perspective that doesn’t fit with the academic world.

“This is the type of survey that’s done to sell Coke,” he said. “It’s the type of survey that’s used to find ways to move product off a shelf. That’s not what we’re trying to build here with a world-class university.”

Western hired Toronto-based Level5 Strategic Brand Advisors to conduct the research from over 20 competing firms. Ian Madell, the managing director for Level5, said there are few differences between brands at public and private levels.

“A brand is not exclusive to the commercial world. Witness the clients we work with. It’s not just about selling. Products are not the only brands, services are also brands.”

He said Level5 has also worked with similar groups like Branksome Hall — an all girl’s school in the GTA — and the Ontario Government.

Like all Canadian universities, Western competes for government dollars, research grants and student enrollments. Goldthorp said the rebranding strategy can improve Western’s reputation with these groups, meaning more funding.

“Let’s be clear. We have to compete and justify our dollars every single day, just like every hospital has to justify its dollars,” he said.

Data from the survey will be combined with other research tools over the next several months. But Western has already collected some data and has uncovered a few answers to their original questions.

“Western is characterized by our respondents as typically more male in our behaviours,” Goldthorp said of the masculine-feminine question. “I would argue that it’s very important consumer behaviour, whether you’re portraying yourself as a feminine organization or a masculine organization.”

4 Comments

1. Vote -1 Vote +1Smurf 2.0
      October 19, 2010 at 10:55 am -

Ah yes, the hot-button issue of the day. Parents don’t need to know if they institution they are spending thousands on provides quality service, top-notch professional staff and state of the art research and classroom technologies… They all want to know how Pink/Blue Western is. Whats next? Ugh boots and the social implications they carry at a school?
      Sorry, the way this article reads, it appears the “school” is more caught up in brand labelling and consumer satisfaction. I didn’t know an institution of higher learning could be lumped in the same pile as Macdonald’s, Walmart or Coke.( Which is unnerving in the article because they talk Coke, then moving product…)
      This is an educational institution. STOP RUNNING MINE AND EVERYONE ELSE’S EDUCATION LIKE A BUSINESS! We are not consumers, we are students (the leaders of tomorrow). Enough with rebranding and get back to fundamentals of EDUCATION! What were paying you for to begin with. Develop this institution as a pinnacle of higher learning and you won’t need to concern yourself with rebranding campaigns.

2. Vote -1 Vote +1S.Segal
      October 7, 2010 at 7:29 pm -

This is awesome. Just what Western needs to do to compete with Waterloo, McGill, and Toronto. Forget improving services and facilities, and faculty, let’s hire a PR firm to make people think we’re something that we may not actually be.

Yes, branding a university is similar to branding Coke. However, Coke is first a delicious product (please, no lectures about sugar) and THEN a brand. An ad is not going to convince you to like the taste of coke, unless you’re an idiot or an “insipid manhattan socialite.” First, perhaps Western should enhance it’s curriculum so that I don’t have to go on Stanford’s website to understand what my economics teacher is teaching me because at Stanford, notes are posted on their website for future reference. Let’s begin by increasing the number of class hours for the social sciences, especially economics.

Let’s work on building partnerships with leading universities across the globe. THEN, we can hire PR firm for quarter of a million dollars to “rebrand.”

3. Vote -1 Vote +1Jan Pennycook
      October 6, 2010 at 5:00 pm -

You’re kidding, right? I mean, an article describing “a $265K research campaign [that] intends to overhaul Western’s brand” sits side by side on the front page with an article detailing the cutbacks to library hours for students thanks to funding cuts. (That news editor Cheryl Stone chooses to refer to students who actually make use of the library to study as “nerds” is not a little disturbing in a university context, but I digress.) I am now rather disappointed that I was too busy being a nerd back in July, that is, researching and writing, to respond to the survey and take up the opportunity to have my say about pinking-up or blueing-down Western’s particular shade of purple. Please! This is an institution of higher education, not The Gap! Whether as a graduate student or as a parent (two of my three children chose Western), I am looking for high standards of academic excellence that serve students well. Is that not, or perhaps, should that not, be primarily what we’re about here? Such excellence requires an investment in people, not advertising copy, and no amount of “branding” can mask its lack.

4. Vote -1 Vote +1sean hunt
      October 6, 2010 at 10:42 am -

I would argue that there is very little difference between what we portray and what we are (eg. masculine or feminine) – These types of studies reveal who in fact we are and not who we portray ourselves to be. Western cannot change how it is perceived without actually changing what it is – consumers (and especially students and alumni) are sophisticated enough to recognize the disconnect when a school is simply being “rebranded” and not revolutionized or changed. If we do not intend to change who or what we are then yes, this expenditure is a waste of resources. Unless of course we have Donald Draper on the account…

Leave A Response