Good guy Spoke to host Reddit meetup

September 14, 2012 2 Comments »
Good guy Spoke to host Reddit meetup

Fingers crossed that this makes it to the front page.

The first official Western Reddit meetup is only days away. Part of the global College Reddit Meetup Day initiative, the gathering will take place at the Spoke from 6 p.m. until closing on Saturday. Other Reddit meetups will be simultaneously occurring at campuses all over the world, all independently organized by users of the site.

College Reddit Meetup day has been in the planning stages since the early summer. Western’s Redditors, however, were almost left scattered throughout London—it seemed no Western student was willing to take it upon themselves to organize the event for their fellow Mustangs.

Fortunately for fans of the site, Renee Tamming, a fourth-year science student, took it upon herself to take up the cause in London.

“I did a Reddit gift exchange back in December for Christmas. Apparently I was on the Western subreddit’s moderators’ email list and they said, ‘Hey, there’s a global meetup day for universities on September 15,” she said.

“I checked and searched ‘Western’ and ‘UWO’ and nothing showed up, so I decided to just make my own.”

The plan is simple.

“We’re going to hang out, drink beers, have fun and probably talk a lot about Reddit,” she continued.

Jonas Trottier, a third-year biology student at Western attending the event, has never been to a Reddit meetup before, but said he wouldn’t be opposed to organizing his own Reddit-based gathering at Western in the future.

“I was thinking about hosting a Halloween meetup so that we could participate in some of the contests that are being run through Redditgifts.”

Kaitlyn Eadie, a fourth-year comparative literature student at Western who has been to numerous Reddit meetups in Toronto, noted the gatherings are usually worthwhile, but can sometimes get slightly out of hand.

“Sometimes you have like five people sitting around at a bar, and sometimes you have like 50 and the bar gets mad at you,” she explained.

She also noted that some male attendees use the gatherings to hit on their fellow female Redditors.

“The only bad experiences I’ve had is that my friend and I go together, and she gets a lot of attention from boys. In fact, it sometimes gets to the point where either I’ll have to intervene or someone else will have to intervene,” Eadie said.

She stressed, however, the majority of her experiences have been positive, and that she plans to attend the meetup at the Spoke on Saturday.

“Mostly they’re pretty good. I’d probably even host my own—maybe somewhere that doesn’t exclude the poor 17 and 18-year-olds who can’t come to bars.”