Bill! Bill! Bill! Bill! Bill Nye the Science Guy!

October 3, 2012 1 Comment »

Consider the following—Bill Nye is coming to Western on November 20.

Remembered largely for his television program Bill Nye the Science Guy, Nye has been invited to Western by the Science Students’ Council to speak on the importance of science and further foster the pursuit of it by Western students.

“The decision for Bill Nye to come to Western stems from a project that has been in development by the Science Students’ Council for multiple years now,” Samik Doshi, president of the SSC, said. “Our council and the past executives have been working together throughout the summer and during the new year to see through the event.”

Yet, for a man best remembered for his television program aimed at children, and the frequent replays of his episodes in elementary school classrooms, what can he communicate of value to university students?

“Bill Nye is a speaker that appeals to our generation and is easily recognizable by students who have been exposed to his Emmy award-winning Bill Nye the Science Guy television program,” Doshi explained. “Our goal is to inspire students of all faculties to maintain an interest in science throughout their careers and lives.”

The SSC has deemed the appearance of Bill Nye so important that tickets for it are being sold at a remarkably discounted price.

“We opted to make tickets as cheap as possible for students given the cost of obtaining a speaker of this caliber,” Doshi said. “We also took the extra step to further reduce costs for a limited number of pre-sale tickets that exclusively available to students.”

In fact, the SSC expects to make no money from the event. The goal of the event is not profit.

“This is an exciting event that we want as many students as possible to be a part of, so we made sure there is no surcharge on tickets, and, consequently, no profit,” Doshi said. “The low costs will hopefully help students facing financial restrictions to attend the event.”

Across social media, students are abuzz with enthusiasm for the arrival of an educational icon at Western.

“Bill Nye the Science Guy is coming to Western!!! Childhood dream complete #BILLBILLBILL,”  @meresw tweeted.

“I can’t believe Bill Nye is coming to Western, he changed my life,” @N1NZ tweeted.

Even students not attending Western are considering making the trip just to see Nye in real life.

“Seriously considering making the trip over to Western solely to see Bill Nye the Science Guy. Legitimate reason, no?” @InspectahDek tweeted.

The event promises to be exciting and nostalgic for many students who have fond memories of learning about science through Nye’s television program, and the event will hopefully remind them that science still rules.

The event will be held on Tuesday, November 20 at Alumni Hall. Pre-sale tickets go on sale October 9 in front of Taylor Library, and cost $15 for students. Regular tickets will go on sale October 15 online and in the University Community Centre for $20 for students, and $30 for non-students.

One Comment

1. +1 Vote -1 Vote +1Robert Sampson
      October 4, 2012 at 11:44 am -

This man is remembered for putting a cute face on science and delivering cold hard facts to youth. What we dont know much about is just how fiercely he contests anti science protests and counter evolution culture. His talks will surprise you, its not just for kids anymore…..

Leave A Response