Gazette Tested: Spoke tacos

January 15, 2013 No Comments »
Gazette Tested: Spoke tacos
Andrei Calinescu // GAZETTE

For the month of January, the Spoke is offering tacos as a special menu item. At $3.89 for two or $5.99 for a combo, including a choice of sour cream or salsa on the side, it sounds like a good deal—although in this case, unfortunately, you get what you pay for.

For lunch, I had a taco combo with salsa and fries on the side. As always, the Spoke’s fries were crispy, golden and perfect—perhaps more so because this was my first order of those scrumptious spuds since the winter break. The tacos, on the other hand, were disappointing. Worse, they were small—without the fries I’m sure I still would have been hungry.

The diminutive tacos come unwrapped on a soft flour tortilla with iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, shredded cheese and ground beef. Though the salsa helped a bit, I found the whole package—especially the beef, which wasn’t particularly flavourful—to be rather lacking in character. The seasoned chicken used for the Spoke’s popular CLT wraps might have been an improvement over the unremarkable beef, but I wasn’t offered the choice.

When I think tacos, and Mexican cuisine in general, I think of bold flavours and spices. What the Spoke is offering is less bold and more banal. I realize you’re not going to get authentic Mexican cuisine from the university pub, but they hardly seem to be trying—the cheese wasn’t even melted, the beef lukewarm.

You may be drawn in by the attractive price, but if you’re looking for a cheap and filling meal from the Spoke you’re better off with the tried and true CLT.

Leave A Response