Federer could hang up his racket after this year

January 16, 2013 No Comments »

There is no question that Roger Federer is the greatest tennis player of all time. But now the question is, will 2013 be Federer’s swan song?

At the age of 31, he has won 17 major titles, more than any other male. But I won’t go on about all his accolades because even the casual tennis fan could probably make a valid argument as to why the Swiss star is the best to ever hit the court.

For years, every storyline was about Federer. How long will he hold the number one ranking? Will he tie Pete Sampras’  Wimbledon record? Will he win yet another major?

But lately the focus has shifted. This year the compelling questions circle around everyone but Federer. Will Rafael Nadal recover from his knee injury? Can Andy Murray maintain his success from 2012? Will Novak Djokovic match his astonishing 2011 season?

And you know what? I bet Federer is just fine about that. While he will never be an underdog, he may be entering a point in his career where he can fly under the radar.

This year at the Australian Open, Federer has the odds stacked against him. On his side of the draw possible opponents are Milos Raonic, Jo-Wilfred Tsonga and Murray. And that’s all before the final.

But perhaps having a challenging route to the finals might be good for him, especially considering he skipped out on all the warm-up tournaments prior to the season’s opening major.

This season, especially if Nadal remains sidelined for a prolonged period, Federer has a legitimate shot at winning some majors. But with a young family, aging knees and a firm hold on the legacy as greatest ever, if Federer doesn’t make a splash this season, expect the retirement talk to heat up.

Leave A Response