Blog the (Re) Vote, Day 11: Seriously?

Blog The VoteNo one wanted to say it. As if even speaking his name would somehow spread a thick, black fog over UC Hill. But last night at 12:01 a.m., as USC election voting commenced, something was up. Tweets began popping up from concerned students citing issues with their ballot. Oh no. It couldn’t be. Is it…Horwood?

Okay, so that was a bit dramatic. But last night, just after 12:01 a.m., when vice-president communications Jeremy Santucci tweeted students should hold off voting until issues with the ballot were rectified, I’ll admit, it felt a little like déjà vu.

Of course, now we know it was neither Horwood nor a hack. Instead, it was apparently a “clerical error” according to president Adam Fearnall. So we may not have gotten a hack, but we do get a re-vote.

Problems began to arise almost immediately when voting opened. Though it seems it was not a widespread error, some students complained of being unable to vote for Senator-at-Large candidates. As well, affiliate colleges were able to cast a vote in the science election. Whoops!

Given the error, last night at approximately 1:00 a.m., the USC closed the polls and announced voting would cease until noon today. Votes that had already been cast were nullified and the eager students up at 12:01 a.m. would have to re-vote again in 12 hours.

Though the USC has stated it was simply a technical glitch and quickly squashed any indication that this could be a hack, considering the mess that occurred last year, I would have thought the USC would have been more diligent with the electronic ballot process.

Fearnall, appropriately, tweeted last night that he completely understood the disappointment candidates were feeling and assured everyone the USC would do everything in their power to rectify the issue and ensure the rest of the election goes off without a hitch. Well, better late than never.

And speaking of late, just this morning the USC announced that to ensure there is a full voting period, the results that were scheduled for 8:00 p.m. Wednesday night in the Mustang Lounge are now delayed until Thursday at noon.

So here we are. Another election, another re-vote. Paper ballots might be looking pretty good right now, eh USC?

Kaitlyn McGrath

Kaitlyn McGrath

Kaitlyn worked at the Gazette all throughout her undergrad. But she loved it so much, she decided to come back while she pursues her Master of Arts in Journalism. You may know her from previous titles such as Opinions Editor or Sports Editor. This year she will once again be an Associate Editor. Got a story? Email: kaitlyn@westerngazette.ca Twitter: @KaitatGazette.
Kaitlyn McGrath

Latest posts by Kaitlyn McGrath (see all)