USC polls closed, re-vote scheduled for noon

Print Print

The University Students’ Council elections got off to a rocky start early this morning after it was discovered that some students were unable to vote in the correct constituencies. The polls have been closed, with a re-vote scheduled to begin at noon on Tuesday, February 12.

Soon after the polls opened at midnight, tweets started coming in from confused students who were missing candidates from their ballot. Some ballots were missing senate-at-large candidates, while others prompted students to vote for councillors in the wrong faculty. Not all ballots were affected.

All votes that have already been cast will be discounted, and the re-vote will start from scratch, according to Adam Fearnall, USC president.

The source of the error is still unclear. “It would be pure speculation right now–it sounds like it was just a clerical error, but we can’t confirm it yet,” Fearnall said.

It isn’t yet clear whether the announcement of election results will also be pushed back. “We’ll make a decision tomorrow morning with elections committee about whether or not to keep polls open beyond the Wednesday at 8 p.m. cut-off,” Fearnall said. UPDATE: The results will now be announced at noon on Thursday, according to the USC.

Though candidates were originally supposed to stop campaigning at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, they will reportedly be allowed to continue campaigning until the polls re-open.

The glitch comes one year after over 10,000 votes had to be thrown out after the USC’s voting website was hacked. However, Fearnall confirmed the incident was unrelated.

Julian Uzielli

Julian Uzielli

Julian was the Editor-in-Chief for Volume 107 of The Gazette. He was previously the Online Editor for Volume 106, a News Editor for Volume 105 and a staff writer in Volume 104.
Julian Uzielli

Latest posts by Julian Uzielli (see all)