Letter: Segregation in Campus Rec

April 5, 2013 9 Comments »

To the Editor:

On March 8, Campus Rec barred all men from the gym for evening programming that was restricted to women.

The explanation that some women are not comfortable at the gym when men are present is sexist, hetero-normative and highly offensive. It assumes that all men at the gym are not only heterosexual, but also such licentious sex-addicts that we cannot be around women without leering and harassing them. This sort of discrimination based on sex has no place, particularly on a university campus where male and female students alike pay equally to maintain recreational facilities.

What I find more concerning is that after investigating the issue, I learned that the USC and Women’s Issues Network approached the university administration to hold this event. Having served previously as both equity commissioner and pride resources commissioner on the USC, I am disgusted that they would advocate such exclusive events.

I have tried repeatedly to bring these concerns to USC president Adam Fearnall, but despite collecting a generous salary paid by students, he apparently does not feel that he should respond to their concerns. The USC is capable of better than this. If Fearnall is not up to that job, he should resign and make room for those who are.

— Arzie Chant
Biology III

• Julian Uzielli

(click to show comment)

• Objective Observer

(click to show comment)

• Alison

(click to show comment)

• Objective Observer

(click to show comment)

• Jessica

(click to show comment)

• Saralyn Russell

(click to show comment)

• Christina

(click to show comment)

• Hayley

(click to show comment)

• Chris

(click to show comment)