Stay calm, Jays fans

Stay away. Don’t let temptation get the best of you. I know it is nearly impossible to resist but use all of your will power.

Jays fans, stay away from the panic button.

With the off-season hype all but faded away, I urge everyone to stick with it because the baseball season is a marathon and not a sprint. Some great teams lose a ton of games, but in the end, it is the entire body of work that is looked at, not a sluggish opening series.

You are not going to win every game in the season. Heck, a great team will probably lose a third of their total games. The Washington Nationals ended the 2012 season with the best record in baseball and they lost a total of 64 games over the course of the season. Meanwhile, the San Francisco Giants won the World Series and they lost 68 games over the course of the season.

It is the nature of a 162-game season that some days you’ll hit bloop hits and some days you’ll hit home runs. For this Jays team, the hype may have been a curse, and these losses may have actually been a blessing in disguise.

Though this is a veteran team, they may take time to develop the necessary chemistry and the spotlight may not have been the best place for that chemistry to develop.

The bandwagon is a tough place to be and with the Leafs in the playoffs, the bandwagon is getting lighter by the minute. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Leafs and I know I am able to split my allegiances between the two teams, but the baseball season is about patience.

When October rolls around, I still believe the Jays will be kicking. Regardless of their April record, the Jays will contend. Dickey’s knuckler will start falling in, Ricky Romero will figure it out and make it back to the majors and when all is said and done, everything will fall into place.

Ryan Stern

Ryan Stern

Ryan Stern is a fourth year Media, Information and Technoculture student at UWO and Sports Editor for Volume 106 of the Gazette.
Ryan Stern

Latest posts by Ryan Stern (see all)