Speakers seek souper sustainable solution

“People come together and [are] basically surrounded by a local, sustainable bowl of soup,” says Shannon Kamins of LondonSOUP, a new, local event

Kamins is a recent Western graduate and an organizer of the local, micro-funder business incubator event.

LondonSOUP is scheduled for Sunday, April 14 is much more than just a bowl of steaming soup, as local businesses will be presenting their ideas with a focus on local food and sustainability.

“There will be four businesses presenting their pitch,” Kamins says.

LondonSOUP looks to provide a grant of $1,000 to someone with a strong, sustainable idea.

Participation is welcome from new businesses starting up, or even a company that’s been in business for a couple months and need money to execute an idea.

Kamins explains they’ve had a great response.

“Anyone with an idea—from academics, to artists, to entrepreneurs will be [participating].”

LondonSOUP organizers aren’t looking for ideas on a specific topic. The one hurdle potential businesses hunting for a grant must clear is the idea of sustainability. Whether it’s economic, social or environmental—the idea must present a sustainable feature.

The event began, according to Kamins, when she met three others—Meriel Cromarty, Patricia van Diepen and Gary Zavitz—at a local food forum.

“After the event, the four of us decided to get together to see what we could offer to London. That’s what sparked the idea—we want to bring some community togetherness and have an event where people can get together and network and enjoy a bowl of soup,” Kamins explains.

Networking is an important element of the event and will likely draw people in. Kamins notes she is expecting several business owners to come out and see some of the ideas that businesses are pitching.

“It seems like there’s quite a buzz surrounding it—we expect a wide range of people,” she says.

“It’s really for anyone,” she states. “The people in the audience could be business entrepreneurs, they could be students, they could be someone who just wants to go out in London and have an event to go to. It’s going to be really open.”

The organizers hope LondonSOUP will become a bi-monthly event where local Londoners can come, enjoy some soup and democratically determine the “next big sustainable thing,” and potentially be rewarded with a $1,000 grant. The event is ultimately clear and fluid with its intent and ideas.

“We see the connection between energy, food and sustainability,” Kamins concludes.

LondonSOUP will take place at 5:30 p.m. on Sunday, April 14 at the APK. Tickets are $10 and are available online.

Bradley Metlin

Bradley Metlin

Bradley is a Sports Editor for Volume 108 of the Western Gazette. Previously, he was an Arts & Lifestyle Editor in Volume 107. He is currently in third year, studying Canadian-American Relations. You can reach him through e-mail, bradley@westerngazette.ca or through Twitter, @BradAtGazette.
Bradley Metlin

Latest posts by Bradley Metlin (see all)