Letter: Face-time key election aspect

February 11, 2014 1 Comment »

RE: “Who cares about the USC?” Friday, February 7, 2014.

To The Editor:

Like many, I was looking forward to reading Friday’s Gazette and learning more about the candidates for the USC executive. The article “Who cares about the USC” made a few points I wanted to address.

I too didn’t know anything about the election except the signs I had seen around campus, that is until Brian Belman came into my sociology class and gave a quick, “If you want to find out more” speech. Taking that effort went a long way when it came to putting a face to the name. Of my five classes, that was the only one where a candidate showed up. This seems to me like an excellent untapped way for the candidates to get more face time with the students. I hope all professors would grant candidates five minutes at the beginning of class to say their piece as mine did.

Knowing now whom (and what) these signs were referring to, I took the time to copy each Twitter and Facebook down and started asking my questions to each. Both slates have been awesome at getting back to me instantly and with good information.

Having a booth in UCC is all well and good, but it can be intimidating to walk up to a stranger and start asking them their plans (even if we have a right to do so). We need to be courted, and I think it’s important for the candidates to make the first move.

Lastly, I wanted to thank The Gazette for posting the demerit points earned in Friday’s issue. I didn’t know these existed and it was interested to read about how many each candidate has and for what.

­Chantelle Ivanski
Arts & Humanities I

One Comment

1. Vote -1 Vote +1Lydia
    February 11, 2014 at 10:44 am -

I definitely agree that candidates need to make the first move. As someone who is often at UCC, I was surprised that neither slates approached me nor did they seem to be approaching other students.

Some profs don’t allow candidates to speak, because they feel that if they let one candidate speak, then they should let all candidates speak so it won’t seem like they are endorsing one over another.

Leave A Response