Food lines on campus can be long and frustrating. Imagine being able to skip the wait, grab your food and get back to your busy life. Hangry allows you to do just that.

The Hangry app aims to help solve the problem of long wait times by allowing students to pre-order food on campus. Western Hospitality Services has recently partnered with the app to mitigate food wait time.

Similar to Uber, Hangry connects to the electronic payment method of your choice — debit, credit or Paypal — and will connect to the Western meal plan starting January 2017. Users add food items to their shopping cart and pay on the app. 

On Western's campus, the app is connected to Subway in the UCC and Bento Sushi, Quesada and Teriyaki Experience at Lucy's in Somerville. 

“It’s easy to use,” says Nashita Syed, a second-year criminology student. “It’s super convenient. If I am really busy or tired, it’s nice not to wait in line.”

Director of Hospitality Services Frank Miller and Western's food safety manager Barry Russell agree that Hangry will help students with time management. Miller says that Hangry is already being used primarily during the lunch period. 

“If it’s during midterms around 2 p.m., the line can range from half an hour to 40 minutes, easy,” says Danny Matti, a third-year medical science student about the lengthy line at Subway. “Time is of the essence.”

Mark Scattolon and Fabian Raso, the co-founders of Hangry, were inspired to create the app while they were university students. 

“If you look at campus life 20 years ago to today, nothing has changed in terms of food lineups. It’s the one thing that hasn't evolved,” Scattolon says. “We’ve always had to be physically somewhere to get food. We wanted to change the game.”

Scattolon compares a university campus to an ecosystem: It is where you live, work, sleep and eat. Because students tend to eat at the same places on campus, Hangry adds value to the daily routine and allows students to order breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Raso and Scattolon not only lived the student lifestyle but also studied it; their statistics show that the average student waits in a line 100 hours per year for food. These recent graduates know this time in line can be spent studying, participating in campus clubs or partying. 

As Scattolon points out, there is a link between food and learning. “When students are hungry, they can’t think properly. They aren't learning the best, absorbing information the best. We want to make sure that this can change.”

Hangry is already known from its success on the popular Dragon’s Den TV series and by the end of next fall, the app will be utilized in up to 15 Canadian universities and will expand into the United States. As of now, it is already implemented in over 10 Canadian universities including McMaster University, Wilfrid Laurier University, University of British Columbia and the University of Alberta.

Recently, Hangry has introduced a rewards store so students earn points with every order they make. The points can be used to access and buy rewards or enter to win prizes such as gift cards from Best Buy or Amazon. Hangry has also incorporated a referral reward system where users earn $1 for every friend they refer Hangry to with a maximum up to $10.

So the next time the Subway lines snakes through the UCC, just download the app that will help you avoid getting hangry. 

Interested in what's engaging students? Contribute to the Gazette's culture section!

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.