The news section is the flagship of the paper. We handle local, university, government and national news that’s relevant to students.
Like all position in the Gazette, contributors work on a graduated system, working from briefs to stories to features.
The Basic Steps
- Arrive at the office early in the day (around 10 a.m.)
- Editors can give you an assignment, help you find an angle and write questions
- Call or visit your sources as early as possible
- Write the story by about 4 p.m.
- Researching your story
- Talking with sources
- Writing the story
- Quoting your sources
- Saving your brief or story