After four months of searching across Canada, Western University appointed Christine Stapleton to the role of director of Sport and Recreation Services.

Currently the director of athletics at the University of Calgary, Stapleton has had a long and successful history at both the university and national sport level. Just two years after graduating from Laurentian University, Stapleton became the head coach of the women’s basketball program at the University of Regina in 1993.

“I played varsity basketball at Laurentian University and was inspired by my coach there, the late Peter Ennis. He ignited something within me that has never dimmed.”

In her nine years as head coach she raked up a number of accolades including five coach of the year awards.

Stapleton helped guide the University of Regina’s women’s basketball team to three consecutive conference championships and a national championship.

In addition to the university realm, Stapleton has been involved with Basketball Canada and served as a national team head coach and a national development coach.

In 2009, Stapleton stepped off the court and into an office, taking on the role of associate director of athletics at the University of Waterloo. Throughout her six years at Waterloo, Stapleton came to appreciate the significance of the student experience.

“From my time at Waterloo, what I think is very transferable and what I will bring to Western is a breadth and depth of opportunity for students,” Stapleton said. “I’m really committed to enhancing the student experience through participation.”

Ready to take on the next step in her career, Stapleton became the director of athletics at the University of Calgary in 2015.

Stapleton enjoyed her time at Calgary stating, “There’s a real contagious spirit in Calgary. Even though the province is battling back from an incredible economic downturn, the pursuit of excellence and the commitment to support Dino athletes is unwavering.”

Just 18 months after taking on the position in Calgary, Stapleton's ready to take on a greater scope of responsibilities as Western's director of Sport and Recreation Services.

One notable benefit of Stapleton's new position is returning to Southwestern Ontario. She grew up near Goderich, just an hour and half drive north of London and many of her friends and family still reside in the area.

“I’m very excited," Stapleton said. "Year over year, Western is one of the top schools for student experiences, and I’m really looking forward to being a part of that delivery.”

Stapleton will fill the void that was left by Therese Quigley after she announced her resignation in December 2016. Stapleton's tenure at Western will begin on July 3. 

0
0
0
1
0

Managing Editor of Design

Jordan is the Managing Editor of Design for Volume 111. He was a graphics editor for Volumes 109-110 and is a recent graduate of Western's now defunct MTP program.

Interested in what's engaging students? Contribute to the Gazette's culture section!