A Tilt fundraiser set up to honour Western student Jeff Costa reached its goal soon after it was posted online.

Within 24 hours, the fund reached $1,500 and at the time of publication surpassed the $2,000 goal with $2,597 donated.

Costa, a social science student, died in April 2016

The donation fund was created by Natalie Major, a fifth-year sociology student, who was Costa's roommate and one of his best friends.

The money raised is going to the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health's One Brave Night for Mental Health Challenge. Major chose this cause as Costa was always passionate about mental health and she believes he would have supported the choice. 

“I felt pretty motivated to try to find a way to honour his life," Major said. “I was trying to think of a nice way we could all celebrate his life and I wanted to give him one last birthday present to try to thank for everything he did for me.”

Major wants to keep the fund open until March 25 — what would have been Costa's 23rd birthday.

“What the initiative stands for is basically what Jeff stood for. We wanted to donate money to something he would be proud of," Major said.

0
0
0
0
0

Rita is the managing editor of content. She was previously a news editor for two years and recently graduated with an honours specialization in political science. Contact her at content.managing@westerngazette.ca or at Twitter.com/RitaRahmati.