Over a thousand people gathered in Victoria Park to march in solidarity with the Women’s March on Washington last Saturday.

This march was one of over 600 sister marches attended by millions of protestors around the world to show their support for women, people of colour, individuals with disabilities, the LGBTQIA+ community, immigrants, Muslims and other marginalized communities. Though the London march was smaller than some of the other sister marches, it had a powerful impact on many who attended.

The event began with a series of speeches from women of the community, including indigenous and Muslim women. The speakers touched on personal experiences of violence and oppression.

The audience responded enthusiastically to the speakers, exclaiming “Shame!” Women waved their signs high in the air with clever slogans such as “We will overcomb” and “The Handmaid’s Tale is a dystopian novel, not an instruction manual!”

“I think it really opened my eyes to what the actual issue is and how everyone’s voice really matters,” said Paige Johansen, a first-year MIT student. “I was actually surprised at how many people turned out but I think it’s good to see all the support.”

Also in attendance was Micah Ton, a second-year social sciences student, who was a first-time rally participant and left the experience impressed.

“I was really impressed with the diversity,” stated Ton. “All the children and men and everyone, and all the speakers were really diverse too… it was really good representation.” 

Want to report on events in our community? Contribute to the Gazette's news section!

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.