As the ballots were counted last Sunday afternoon, Mac McIntosh was the clear winner. 

He was set to take on the USC's largest executive portfolio as the incoming student programs officer (SPO). He was congratulated by competitors, peers and friends. 

But only the next day, Mac's position was under threat as the results of the SPO elections came under scrutiny.

A vote recount that evening confirmed him as the winner and he was able to breath a sigh of relief. Mac was SPO. 

"Obviously it wasn't ideal. And it wasn't the most easy feeling, but I'm really happy that we're past it and we get to move forward," Mac said.  

Currently completing his fourth year in political science, Mac has been involved with the USC's programming portfolio, setting him nicely for the top programs job. As associate programming, he has overseen the USC's early outreach program, Charity Ball, the income tax clinic and Theatre Western. 

Going into the role, Mac wants to prioritize on-campus relationships. 

"Building better relationships with our sophs and clubs executives. I think those relationships have gone downhill in the past year or two," McIntosh said. "[It's important] to make sure that they feel like they're a part of the process and make sure that we are including them in our decisions."

Reflecting on Allie Adamo's current SPO performance, Mac noted she excelled in taking over the peer programs portfolio which was previously in the vice-president internal's portfolio. She also empowered her associates and coordinators to take more initiative. 

Looking forward to next year, Mac himself hopes volunteers can feel satisfied and proud of all their work within the portfolio. 

While he wants to continue those successes, he wants to improve on communication by establishing a more detailed communication plan. In his platform, he promises to reply to every email within 24 hours as well as sending weekly emails to clubs, councillors and others to update them on USC's programming initiatives. 

Clubs' grievances were a prominent part of the debate during this year's elections. With SPO being the executive portfolio that oversees the more than 190 clubs at Western, Mac has his work cut out for him. 

Before summer starts, Mac wants to host a town hall with the clubs to hear their concerns so he can develop effective plans before the academic year starts.

"I want to hit September rolling so hopefully we can get as much done now as possible," he said.

• Angry 0
  • Sad 0
  • Funny 0
  • Wow 0
  • Love 0
0
0
0
0
0

Rita is a returning news editor for volume 110. She's a fourth-year political science student, minoring in film studies. Contact her at rita@westerngazette.ca or at Twitter.com/RitaRahmati.