The foundation is named after Nate Black, a former Western student, who died in 2015. 

Facebook Photo

Western University alumni Nate Black died in 2015, but his memory will not be forgotten.

Black died unexpectedly on a trip to Mexico two years ago, and some of his close friends started The Nate Black Foundation in his honour in early 2016. The foundation's launch party will happen in Toronto tomorrow, and all proceeds will go towards the foundation’s first scholarship that will be given to a Western student in Black’s name. 

The foundation plans to fund scholarships for exemplary students in financial need and hopes to provide annual scholarships in the near future. 

Malcolm Aboud, co-founder of The Nate Black Foundation, spoke about the upcoming event.

“The main purpose of the event is to raise funds for the foundation to be applied to scholarships," Aboud said. "And also to raise awareness of what we’re doing and the fact that these scholarships are available, and the things that people can do to help."

The launch event will be at the Early Mercy, located at 540 King Street West in Toronto and will take place from 6 to 10 p.m on Thursday, July 13. Attendees will indulge in food and drinks. There's also a silent auction that boasts donations from a number of sponsors, including the Toronto Blue Jays.

For those who have been contributing to the foundation since its inception in early 2016, the launch party is an important milestone.

Marisa Wong knew Black in her days as a frosh at Elgin Hall residence. When she was approached by the foundation to help promote and plan events as the campaign director, she immediately jumped on board.

“For me, the biggest reward is that Nate has brought everyone together from all walks of life, finding our roots from Western, and doing something good for human kind," Wong said.

Tickets can be purchased online for $50.00 per individual ticket or $45.00 for two or more. Those who can’t attend can choose to donate online.

3
0
0
0
4

Sabrina is pursuing her second year as a News Editor here at the Gazette. She is a fourth year International Relations student at Western University.