University Students' Council president Tobi Solebo addressing council at their summer meeting on July 16, 2017.

Councillors at the University Students' Council's summer meeting talked about everything from an airport shuttle to Homecoming.

Originally scheduled for two hours, the June 16 meeting went on for almost six hours with new councillors unafraid to speak up and debate issues on behalf of their constituents. 

Here are some of the highlights from the meeting:

Campus breakfast buffet 

In her executive report, secretary treasurer Erin McCauley announced a breakfast buffet is coming to the University Community Centre. McCauley is working with the senior managers of the Wave and Spoke to bring students a weekly breakfast buffet every Thursday. 

"It's going to be really fun, we're looking at what kinds of food we want to have. We don't want it just to be like midnight buffet," McCauley said, referencing the late-night, free breakfasts the USC holds during exam season. "It's going to actually have cool foods like s'mores pancakes."

McCauley predicted the buffet will be ready to launch in September.

HOCO lobbying

An event close to the hearts of Western students past and present, social science councillor Keaton Olsen presented two motions about Homecoming on behalf of social science president Mitchell Pratt. 

One motion tasked the executive to work with Western University's administration to move Homecoming from late October to an earlier date. Homecoming's late September date was standard practice until the 2016–17 Homecoming date change that resulted in students celebrating twice in first semester — HOCO and FOCO. 

A few councillors noted that council voted on a similar motion last year, but the exec had little success talking with the administration. As many councillors stated, Western's administration gets the final say about the official Homecoming date. In the end, the motion passed. 

The other motion tasked council to distribute water and food to students on the unofficial Sept. 30 Homecoming date in an effort to keep students healthy and safe. This motion passed as well with councillors agreeing to sacrifice some of their Homecoming festivities to help out. 

Airport shuttle

Vice president Landon Tulk said he's excited about fulfilling his platform promise of bringing an airport shuttle service to Western. Tulk said he's in talks with transit organizations, and the shuttle service will likely be ready for the fall semester to transport students from London to the Toronto Pearson International Airport.

Transgender washrooms

As a result of last March's council meeting, Tulk said he's currently looking into the feasibility of having transgender washrooms on campus.

A round of applause erupted as Tulk announced that the transgender flag will fly high on campus after consulting Western's administration.

Nap rooms

In the recent past, USC execs have talked about adding nap rooms and nap pods to campus and this exec's no different. Although it was only briefly mentioned, Tulk said the USC is investigating nap rooms' feasibility at Western and looking at nap rooms at different universities in Canada and the United States. 

via GIPHY

Governance committee

President Tobi Solebo brought forward a motion to create an ad hoc governance committee consisting of the USC exec, council and Board of Directors representatives. The committee will fully review the USC's governance structure to improve its efficiency and ensure each body within the organization has distinct responsibilities and roles. The committee will also be referred to as "Project Ovidius" and is scheduled to meet once a month. 

The committee's makeup consists of the secretary treasurer, one councillor, the associate governance chair, the governance and finance subcommittee chair, the Board of Directors chair, one board member and a senior manager from advocacy and government services. They will work with an externally hired resource member to develop a comprehensive report and to propose new bylaws for the USC.

At the meeting, Faculty of Music Students' Council president Kyle Tang was elected to be the council representative.

9
2
3
4
22

Managing Editor of Content

Rita is the managing editor of content. She was previously a news editor for two years and recently graduated with an honours specialization in political science.