The third annual Indigenous Awareness Week is coming to Western University from March 20 to March 25.

Intending to give insight on indigenous life, the week has many events planned including a sunrise ceremony, a film festival and a powwow.

Sean Hoogterp, a Learning Resource Centre co-ordinator at Indigenous Services, discussed the importance of Indigenous Awareness Week.

"[Indigenous Awareness Week] promotes indigenous identity and culture within the boundaries of the Western community and allows us to share with those who were not raised in a native community."

As of right now, there are five different nations of indigenous people around the London area and 450 self-entitled indigenous people at Western University.

“Some people have a conception of what an indigenous person is based on their hair, their dress, their colour and some of them are true but the truth is most people are intermixed,” Hoogterp explained. 

“We are not trying to sit here and dwell on the fact that majority of Canadian society isn’t sensitive to native histories and rights,” said Hoogterp. “Ignorance isn’t a bad term. It just means they don’t know."

All events will be located inside either the University Community Centre or the Mustang Lounge and are free of change. 

Correction (March 15, 2017):

This article previously misspelled the name Sean Hoogterp and has been updated to correct this error. The Gazette regrets this mistake.

• Angry 0
  • Sad 0
  • Funny 0
  • Wow 0
  • Love 0
0
0
0
0
0