Western's United Way of London & Middlesex campaign announced they collected $657,234 for the 2016 November-December season at a ceremony on Jan. 18.

The donation is now part of approximately $12 million that Western has donated towards United Way since the partnership first began in the 1990s.

The money raised from Western’s United Way campaign events goes towards local agencies in London that support those who are in poverty, are experiencing crisis with their mental health and are even Western students themselves.

“People lose jobs, have mental health issues and it could be any one of us needing those services,” said Michele Parkin, one of the Western United Way campaign co-chairs.

Although the financial goal for the campaign was $750,000, Parkin said that was more of a secondary goal. 

“Our focus was on raising awareness about the important work that agencies…funded through United Way do in the community and the increasing participation,” Parkin explained.

In previous years Western has raised $717,858 in 2015 and $745,014 in 2014.

The main campaign for United Way at Western concluded in November but Western’s United Way Student campaign recently held an event last Friday with Meals on Wheels. 

Parkin pointed out that it’s not about donating financially, but rather about “trying to help the campaign make a positive impact on the community.”

Students who want to learn more can visit the United Way Student Association of Western University Facebook page

0
0
0
0
0