Western has continued to dominate in U Sports (formerly CIS) athletics and currently have five teams sitting in the top 10 rankings for their respective sports: football, women’s hockey, women’s soccer, women’s cross-country and men’s cross-country.

Football remains the third-ranked team in the country in the ninth week of the season with only Laval and Montreal ahead of them. The team received 243 voting points, which was nearly a 100-point cushion above McMaster in fourth place. Western defeated McMaster earlier this week to close out the season in first place in Ontario.

After dropping two road games to Nipissing and Laurentian this weekend, Western's women's hockey has slipped from seventh to eighth place in the national rankings. The team is 2-2 and have nine voting points, giving them a one point cushion over the eighth place University of Saskatchewan. Only one other OUA team cracked the top ten, the Guelph Gryphons, who are currently sitting in sixth. 

Women’s soccer has remained in 10th place in the USport rankings following their only loss of the season to York. The team tied the Ottawa GeeGees for ninth, but the higher seed was given to Ottawa due to their higher ranking the week before. The Mustangs are the second ranked team in the OUA, and are looking to continue their success from the regular season into the playoffs.

Women’s cross-country remains in fourth in USport rankings heading into the OUA championships. Four other teams are ranked in the national top 10, and the Mustangs are the third highest ranked Ontario team. The provincial championships will be held in Toronto this Sunday.

Men’s cross country jumped from seventh to sixth this week in the top 10 nationals rankings, leapfrogging McMaster. The men’s cross-country team is also the third ranked Ontario cross-country team in Canada, amongst the five Ontario teams in the top 10. The men’s team will also travel this weekend to Toronto for the OUA championship.

0
0
0
0
0

Claire is a third year Media, Information and Technoculture student. She is a first year sports editor at the Gazette. Have a question? Email her at claire.palmer@westerngazette.ca

Love sports and all things Mustangs? Contribute to the Gazette's sports section!