The Western Mustangs football team will have a new defensive line coach for their upcoming season, as Glen Mills joins the coaching staff.

Mills brings substantial experience to the role as head coach and director of football operations for the Essex Ravens since 1998, according to a media release from the Mustangs.

“Glen has been a successful coach at every level he’s competed in and fits the bill perfectly as the type of person we wanted to bring onto the coaching staff," Mustangs head coach Greg Marshall said in a statement. 

"His work ethic and energy are second to none, and we’re thrilled to have him join the Mustangs football family.”

In addition to his coaching experience with the Ravens, Mills said he's been involved with football in either a playing or coaching capacity since he was 14.

"The defensive side of the ball is probably my forte," he said, adding that his experience playing as a linebacker in the CFL and the CJFL will be an asset to the role he takes on.

In preparing for the upcoming season, Mills has his eye on how the recent CFL draft will affect the composition of his team but remains confident in their abilities.

"We'll see where it ends up with what players come back and who doesn't come back, and that'll be a huge factor, but they [Mustangs] have such a tradition of excellence I don't think it's going to be a major, major factor. They're just going to keep doing what they do and that's being physical and working hard."

The Mustangs will open their season when they face the Windsor Lancers on August 28 at TD Stadium.

0
0
0
0
0

Katie is the Print Managing Editor for volume 110 of The Gazette. Previously, she was a news editor for volumes 109 and 108 of The Gazette and a staff writer for volume 107.

Love sports and all things Mustangs? Contribute to the Gazette's sports section!