The Western women’s basketball team continued to roll on Saturday night, winning their ninth consecutive game by defeating the Laurentian Voyageurs 63–48 at Alumni Hall.

Recap

The Mustangs came out strong defensively in the first quarter, holding Laurentian to just four points while putting up 18 to take a commanding lead. Victoria Heine made several strong plays in the key to help put her team ahead, before going off with an injury, although she did return later in the game.

Western guards Caroline Wolynski and Mackenzie Puklicz shouldered most of the burden in the first half, combining for 21 of the team’s 43 points through two frames. But the Voyageurs woke up in the second quarter, thanks to guard Adrienne Moreau, who made two key three-pointers to cut the Mustangs lead to 43-27 at half.

Laurentian picked up steam in the third quarter, bringing the score to within ten points, but ultimately the first quarter domination was too much for them to overcome.

With a final score of 63–48, Western improves to 12–3 this season and maintains their one-game lead over Windsor for top spot in the OUA west division.

Laurentian’s losing streak is now at six games.

Gazette Player of the Game

Maddy Horst: the second-year guard took on a leadership role in this game and was a major part of the Mustangs’ successful effort in the second half. She finished the game with 15 points, three rebounds and three assists.

Up Next

The Mustangs are back in action on Friday, Feb. 12 when they head to Kingston to take on Queen's University. 

0
0
0
0
0

The Gazette sports section is run by sports editors and staff. Reach the sports section by emailing sports@westerngazette.ca or call 519-661-2111 ext. 82622.

Love sports and all things Mustangs? Contribute to the Gazette's sports section!