The Universiade officially began this weekend and women’s hockey started off with a bang, dominating Team China 9–1 in the opening game of the tournament. The team then went on to defeat Great Britain 14–0 earlier .

Mustangs alumni and Team Canada captain Katelyn Gosling registered an assist against China, while current Mustang Brianna Iazzolino registered an assist for herself and two penalty minutes.

Team Canada outshot Team China 55–5, and boasted 16 different players on the score-sheet in the resounding win. With a 3–0 lead at the end of the first period, Canada added four goals in the middle frame. China scored their lone goal of the game in the second, before Canada ran away with it in the third with a strong two-goal period. 

Canada continued on their offensive rampage early this morning, as they easily defeated Team Great Britain. Iazzolino had a goal and an assist to add to the Canadian offense.

Team Canada destroyed China in shots, registering 77 shots, while Canadian goaltender Stephanie Sluys faced no shots from Great Britain in her Universiade debut.

Team Canada is set to take the ice again on Feb. 1, when they will face off against the hosts, Kazakhstan, in the final game of pool play.

0
0
0
0
0

Claire is a third year Media, Information and Technoculture student. She is a first year sports editor at the Gazette. Have a question? Email her at claire.palmer@westerngazette.ca

Love sports and all things Mustangs? Contribute to the Gazette's sports section!