Last night's Canadian Football League draft saw six Mustang athletes drafted to teams across the country.

Sean Jamieson, George Johnson, Josh Woodman, Rupert Butcher, Jamal Kett and Matt Uren were all selected in one of eight rounds of the draft.

Jamieson, who was drafted in the third round and 20th overall, will be heading to the Montreal Alouettes along with Johnson, chosen in the fourth round.

"It'll be awesome, just coming in with Sean [Jamieson] and having the pleasure of playing with him over four years," Johnson said.

Jamieson and Johnson will be joining former Mustang Vaughn Martin, who signed with Montreal in February after spending seven seasons in the NFL.

Woodman will be heading to the Edmonton Eskimos after being selected in the fifth round of the draft, earlier than he'd thought he'd be chosen.

"I had a good feeling that I would be drafted," he said.

"I thought it would be late round – I actually went a little earlier than expected myself to be, so it was a really exciting moment to see that."

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers chose Butcher in the sixth round. Kett will be joining the Redblacks in Ottawa after being chosen in the seventh round.

"So I was just sitting watching the draft with a couple of friends ... and it was getting late and I knew I was probably going to end up going late because of my injury, and the best way I can honestly put it is that Kanye West has a song called 'Ultralight Beam' and that's legitimately what I felt like I was on — it was amazing." Kett recounted.

Kett is coming off of surgery for a high ankle sprain and a fractured fibula that occurred just over a week ago.

"I'm not going to be able to take a shot at the CFL this year," Kett said of his injury. "I will be coming back to Western for sure - I'm in an air cast and on crutches for six to eight weeks. And then I'll be able to really get the rehab process going, but I will make a full recovery for Western's season next year."

Uren is the Hamilton Tiger-Cats' eighth-round pick and has played through his five years of CIS eligibility.

The Edmonton Eskimos will be defending their Grey Cup title this season after defeating the Ottawa RedBlacks 26-20, claiming their 14th Grey Cup.

The first game of the season will see the Hamilton Tiger-Cats playing in Toronto against the Argonauts on June 23.

0
0
0
0
0

Katie is the Print Managing Editor for volume 110 of The Gazette. Previously, she was a news editor for volumes 109 and 108 of The Gazette and a staff writer for volume 107.

Love sports and all things Mustangs? Contribute to the Gazette's sports section!