As banner season kicks off, here are your top five Mustang teams this week.

Softball

Mustangs softball traveled to Innerkip this weekend to compete in the Ontario Intercollegiate Women's Fastpitch Association championship. Coming off of their only loss of the season in the gold medal game at the National championships, the Mustangs went undefeated in the provincial tournament, claiming gold over the Brock Badgers by a score of 4-0. The Mustangs scored 33 runs for throughout the five game tournament and only allowed a miniscule six runs against. The provincial title is the Mustangs' seventh consecutive provincial banner and their ninth title in 11 years. The Mustangs finished their season with 35 wins and only one loss, and with a national silver medal and a provincial gold.

Baseball

Baseball claimed gold over their fierce rivals, the Brock Badgers, in the Ontario University Athletics championship in Ajax this Sunday. The Mustangs won 6-3, in a rematch of last years gold medal game, where the Mustangs dethroned the Brock Badgers, who were the reigning champions. The provincial title is the Mustangs' second consecutive title and their sixth in program history. The Mustangs won all four of their tournament games, with an impressive offensive push that resulted in 48 runs for and only 11 runs against over their four games. The Mustangs finished their season with 16 wins and four losses as well as a provincial banner.

Women’s tennis

Women’s tennis claimed an OUA gold this past weekend, coming back from a 3-0 deficit against the top seeded York Lions. The gold is the 10th in program history and the first since 2012. The Mustangs won one of the three singles matches, and fours of the six doubles matches. Mustangs Aurthi Muthukumaran and Melissa Lee were the only doubles pairing to top the Lions in the tournament. The gold medal came on home soil for the Mustangs, making the victory sweeter.

Men’s tennis

Men’s tennis claimed OUA gold as well this past weekend, topping the defending champions, the Toronto Varsity Blues, on home soil. The Mustangs cruised to an easy 6-1 victory and they swept the doubles matches, winning all three games and claimed victories in five of the six singles matches. The finals were a rematch of last year's gold medal game which saw the Varsity Blues top the Mustangs for gold. The gold medal was the fourth in five years for the men’s team and the 19th in program history.

Women’s ultimate frisbee

The most recent addition to Mustang athletics, the ultimate frisbee team is making a mark early on in its history as a varsity program as the team travelled to Montreal this weekend for the National championships. The women’s team claimed a bronze medal in division I of the Canadian University Ultimate Championships. The team defeated the McGill A team in the bronze medal game 14-3, capturing the first medal in the programs history. The team won five of their seven games on Friday and Saturday, putting them in the fourth seed for Sunday’s medal bracket. The team fell to the Queen’s Gaels A team in a tight 9-7 match in the semifinals, an impressive feat, as Queen’s went on to win the gold medal. The Mustangs improved on their fifth place finish from last year, and look to continue improving as the program gets older.

0
0
0
0
0

Claire is a third year Media, Information and Technoculture student. She is a first year sports editor at the Gazette. Have a question? Email her at claire.palmer@westerngazette.ca

Love sports and all things Mustangs? Contribute to the Gazette's sports section!