The Western women's lacrosse team will be awarded gold medals for the 2016 OUA Championship three months after a controversial Ontario University Athletics (OUA) final saw them lose 11-10 to the Trent Excalibur.

The final, held on Oct. 23 at McMaster University, was followed by three months of uncertainty during which Western appealed the result of the final game which led to a review by the OUA. The OUA announced the decision to award the Western team with gold medals on Wednesday.

Trent's victory in the gold medal game was appealed by Western after a scoring error at halftime credited one of Western's goals to Trent. The phantom goal made a huge difference in the outcome of the game, as the Mustangs were defeated by just one. 

The controversial championship was the first in Trent's history, and the OUA confirmed that they will not be stripped of their title. The Excalibur will remain the 2016 women's lacrosse champions, and they will retain their banner.

This issue has been under review for several months, as Western's coaches and recently retired athletic director Thérèse Quigley went through the process of appeal. The OUA Management Committee came to this decision with cooperation from both teams.

This is a breaking news story and will be updated. 

0
0
0
0
0

Charlie is a second year student in Media, Information and Technoculture, and is a first year sports editor for Volume 110 of the Gazette. Follow him on Twitter @charliejclarke or contact him at charlie@westerngazette.ca

Love sports and all things Mustangs? Contribute to the Gazette's sports section!