Broadchurch

Program: Broadchurch 

Starring: David Tennant, Olivia Colman 

Seasons: Two

Genre: Crime drama

Synopsis: Two detectives investigate the murder of a young boy after his body is found on the beach of an idyllic small British town.   

My Take: Excuse me while I dab my eyes with some tissue. The final episode of the first season will make you cry — or at the very least, it will make you misty-eyed. Broadchurch is an absolute ride from start to finish. 

Tightly written and expertly structured, the suspense extends across the first season's eight episodes. While the plot is a fairly typical whodunnit format, the emotional oomph is undeniable.

The show does a fantastic job of making you feel like you're part of the small town of Broadchurch. These characters feel familiar, like people you know in your own life. The multi-layered characterizations begin from the first episode, transcending any sort of archetypes. 

Broadchurch's performances are spectacular. Seriously, you could marvel at virtually everyone in this series. Everyone is that good. Despite the strength of the ensemble, one actress stands above the rest.

Colman's performance as Ellie Miller is the heart of the show. Her acting in every scene is absolutely thrilling. I could heap every single compliment at her performance and still, I don't know if would do the performance justice. It's one for the ages.

Entertainment Weekly has described the show as a "bona fide national obsession" in the UK. If Canadians were smart, we would make it a national obsession here too.

This brings me to the unfortunate part about Broadchurch — they made more than one season. If only everyone realized this is the type of show that should have ended after the reveal of the murderer. Instead, the strong viewership in the UK prompted more episodes.

While it's not an awful effort, the second season is certainly a step down from the brilliance of the first season. There are certainly parts of the second season that are memorable but its plot is split between a murder trial (decently interesting) and another periphery murder case (decently bland).

So either stop your Netflix after the last episode of season one or prepare for a bit of a decline in quality.  

Worth the Netflix? Absolutely.

Worth the Chill? No. Homicide and tears are not aphrodisiacs.

0
0
0
0
0

Bradley is the digital managing editor for Volume 110 of the Gazette. This is his fourth year on the editorial board, previously working in Opinions, Sports, and Culture. He's a recent graduate with a degree in Canadian-American relations.