Fashion can be a horribly elitist world these days, marked by disdain, runways in Paris and the colour black. However, a tastefully monochromatic outfit has its appeal.

Rowan Morris, a recent English graduate, made a statement at convocation with bright colours and bold patterns. Warm colours for fall and semi-formal with a playful twist — what's not to like?

The plaid shirt and v-neck sweater is a tried and tested combo. Plaid can be overbearing on its own, so pairing it with a solid sweater breaks up the patterning. Just enough shows up around the neck and the bottom of the sleeves.

Primary and secondary patterning is hard to pull off, but it works well here with the tie and shirt. The tie is definitely the eye-catcher, but again the v-neck shows off just enough of the pattern. A strong windsor or half-windsor is ideal for this sort of showcasing.

"The tie's my favourite piece," says Morris. "I love collecting ties. I try to wear a different one every day."

The wine-red pants work with the rest of the warm colours, accented by the shoes, bag and even Morris' hair.

He's also sporting an American motif with his shoes and bag. The Converse sneakers are a bold red-white-and-blue and his Captain America backpack speaks for itself. The bag is from ThinkGeek, an online retailer dealing in clothing based on technology, comics, movies — basically anything "geeky." It's an unconventional addition to an outfit, especially at Western, but it works in terms of colour.

Morris cites his inspiration as Q, from Skyfall. The longsuffering tech expert from the Bond films has been revamped into a dreamy young man, the living expression of geek-chic and a worthy exemplar for us all.

WHERE TO GET IT

Shoes: EBay. Converse makes a lot of flashy colours and patterns, so if you're looking to pop in the footwear department they're your best bet.

Pants: H&M. The skinny red chinos are a staple of the modern teenager. It's a stronger red to complement the subtler beige of his sweater.

Sweater: Sears. Beige is a much-neglected fall colour. It's versatile and because nothing else you own is beige, it pairs with pretty much anything.

Tie: Family. Solid, well-constructed ties are a rare find in this day and age, but this one's an heirloom. If there's one thing worth holding on to from your family, it's ties.

0
0
0
0
0

Opinions Editor

Richard is the Opinions Editor for Volume 111. Previously, he was Culture Editor-At-Large for Volume 110, Arts & Lifestyle Editor for Volume 109, and staff writer for Volume 108. Email him at richard.joseph@westerngazette.ca