Fall is here and that means the trees, along with the outfits, turn to a warmer and more patterned palette. BMOS student Jamie Deng is on-trend in an elegant but colourful ensemble.

Deng's favourite piece, her jacket, is uniquely artistic; with two halves of two different colours, the bright red and muted blue maintain a delicate balance. The vibrant, organic patterning along the collar adds a touch of cultural pizzazz, acting as an eye-catching centrepiece. A close look will even reveal the pattern continued along the hem of the jacket, a sure sign of detailed craftsmanship.

There are few slim dresses to be seen as the weather gets chillier, but you can do interesting things with silhouette when autumn comes around. Here, the loose, billowing way the fabric falls around the upper body contrasts and complements the form-fitting leggings — slim and elegant, but fall-chic.

The unobtrusive black of the rest of the outfit ensures the whole look isn't too over-the-top and extravagant, but the fringe crop-top and the distressed leggings do add a dash of tasteful textural detail.

The black thin-strap heels and the dark brown leather bag add some sartorial class to balance out the playful patterning, as do the large earrings and the offset necklace on a smaller scale.

"The national style is the international style," Deng says cryptically. Perhaps she's encouraging others to draw on their cultural heritage for a uniquely international look.

WHERE TO GET IT

Jacket: A lovely little piece of culture, you're probably not going to find something like this anywhere nearby. Deng herself buys from world.taobao.com, though you'd better have a translator to navigate their website unless you speak the language.

Crop Top: The fringe is a little different, but the crop top is a staple at any Forever 21.

Leggings: Distressed leggings you might get from Garage in Masonville, or you could even make them yourself if you are feeling a little DIY.

Bag: Aldo Accessories has a collection of large, stylish leather bags for women — an elegant but eminently practical look.

Heels: Thin straps, black, high heels; Aldo seems like the obvious choice.

0
0
0
0
0

Opinions Editor

Richard is the Opinions Editor for Volume 111. Previously, he was Culture Editor-At-Large for Volume 110, Arts & Lifestyle Editor for Volume 109, and staff writer for Volume 108. Email him at richard.joseph@westerngazette.ca