Juno's

Surviving original Loverboy members Mike Reno, Paul Dean, Matt Frenette, and Doug Johnson are inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame by producer/engineer Bob Rock, 29 Mar 2009 at General Motors Place, Vancouver, B.C.

Although the JUNO Awards have traditionally been held in the heart of Toronto, London is vying to host the award show in 2019.

Before London city council can move forward with the plan, they must bid $1.7 million. Two city councillors are asking city council for $500,000 to host the JUNOs, and Tourism London is looking for alternative funding for the remaining $1.2 million. Although the JUNOs were exclusively hosted in Toronto until 1991, they've now been held across Canada, and most recently in Ottawa.

Ward 6 councillor Phil Squire says that hosting the awards would bring economic prosperity and spur civic pride. 

"This is such an important event for Canadian music," says Squire. "If we end up hosting this event, it puts us on the map for hosting major Canadian events."

Squire pointed out that Budweiser Gardens would be a suitable venue for the award show.

London has had past success hosting other major award events. When London hosted the Canadian Country Music Association Awards in 2016, London revelled in its success: thousands of tourists flocked to the city, bringing $8.4 million to the local economy.

If the JUNOs were brought to London, the event would support the London Music Office's strategy. The JUNOs could help local musicians incorporate their work into the celebration to accelerate the growth of the city's burgeoning local music scene.

Although there are costs involved with implementing the JUNOs here, Squire believes that the tourism revenue from the event would significantly exceed them.

With the glamour and talented musicians the JUNOs would bring, hosting the event would provide an opportunity for London to drum up excitement in students and enrich its artistic reputation.

1
0
0
0
0

Vivian Cheng is a third year medical sciences student and Culture Editor for Volume 111. When she's not writing or editing, you can find her curating another playlist or thinking about puppies. You can contact her at vivian.cheng@westerngazette.ca.