luther

Program: Luther

Starring: Idris Elba, Ruth Wilson, Warren Brown

Network: BBC

Seasons: Four

Synopsis: An in-depth look at the cases of London detective John Luther (Elba) who rationalizes murders through psychology and outsmarts suspects with mind games. Naturally, his work seeps into his messy personal life, making it even more tumultuous.

My Take: If you are looking for a thrilling mystery show that will scare you and make you thirsty at the same time, watch Luther.

Idris Elba is a heartthrob, but a heartthrob with a brain who can predict his opponents' moves. Luther is brooding and talented while also self-destructive and lawless, and his looks are only half the appeal. The acting in this show stretches beyond Elba. Frankly, it beats any other show in this genre as the characters stay true to their brand while also making unpredictable moves.

Justin (Brown) is the sidekick detective-in-training, but he has potential as a detective and Luther knows this. He is the beacon of truth in the series and automatically becomes a fan favourite due to his loyalty to the law and Luther, even when it's not in his best interest.

Extending beyond the acting are the thrilling endings. There is no formula to each episode because each case is drastically different. As each murderer differs, their psychology does as well, making Luther an exciting watch, drawing you in with every case and glance of Elba's face. 

Worth the Netflix? Yes. Heavily recommended, especially if you are a Sherlock fan too.

Worth the Chill? Elba is enough inspiration so yes, but also watch the show as well. Figure it out.

0
0
0
0
0

Culture editor for volume 109 and 110, Samah spends her time bingewatching Netflix and sipping Starbucks while critiquing music, film and social media. She's specializing in Women's Studies and minoring in Creative Writing.