Reverie rules Western

Jenny Jay GAZETTE

Get lost in Reverie this week with Western's annual arts and music festival, today to March 5. Hosted by the Arts and Humanities Student Council, the Faculty of Information and Media Studies Student Council and the Music Student Council, Reverie is a multi-day celebration of arts on campus.

The art attack begins today with a songwriter workshop, featuring 2012 Juno Award Nominee Craig Cardiff at 2 p.m. in the McKellar Room.

Tomorrow sparks the two-day Visual Arts Supporters' Association Art Sale, happening from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the UCC Atrium. This event offers students an opportunity to deck out their house, residence or apartment with something other than glossy posters, and supports Western talent at the same time.

“The Visual Arts Supporters' Association advocates for students within the visual arts department to promote and sell their work,” says incoming VASA President Veronica Clarke.

Clarke explains that prices will range from $5 to $100, with funds going directly back to the artists as a way to support their creativity at Western.

“We aim to bring students' work into the public and to build a community with our faculty and with the university,” says Clarke.

At night, be awe-inspired by the FIMS Art Showcase from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. in the Physics & Astronomy Building. Ranging from painting, print and films, the event aspires to showcase various mediums of art.

“We hope to give FIMS students, many of whom pursue creative projects outside of school, an opportunity to share their work with the school community in a formal showcase setting,” explains FIMSSC vice-president of events, Victoria Lyons.

Wednesday will see a free painting class lead by Western student artist Sohyun Kang. Also on Wednesday is Theatre Western’s opening night of Spring Awakening. The show will run until Saturday, March 5.

Thursday will showcase the winter edition of Nuit Violette, marking Western's second go at this multimedia art show. Set up like Toronto's popular Nuit Blanche, it will be a night of arts and culture you don’t want to miss.

Lyons endorses the importance of celebrating culture on campus.

“Reverie allows students of all faculties to express themselves creatively through various mediums.”

The entire week is meant to promote the arts in a welcoming and supportive setting. 

Ending the week on Friday, the Music Student Council’s House Concert will take place at 7 p.m. in the UCC. Students are encouraged to bring blankets and pillows to enjoy a lineup of student performers in comfort.

Student Concert Series Commissioner Sarah Hoy explains the event is meant to mirror the “homey” feel of the house concerts often hosted by her fellow music students.

“The ambience is out of this world,” Hoy says. “So we wanted to recreate that feeling.”

With a variety of events to promote and support Western art, Reverie 2016 will give art enthusiasts and admirers alike something to look forward to. 

0
0
0
0
0