Amongst the various charity committees under the University Students' Council clubs bracket, nothing stood out to Elena Fornazzari more than Rebuilding Health in Rwanda.

What inspired her was their resilience to build up a community by sponsoring them financially instead of sending in external help. This less invasive influence appeared more impactful to her and now, a year later, she represents the charity as the director of communications.

RHR works towards a yearly goal of $2,000 to sponsor a different initiative each year. In the past the group sponsored a computer lab, but upon further reconsideration they decided to sponsor individuals to build up a community within the health care system.

This year’s goal is to sponsor a scholarship to the National University of Rwanda for a graduate student pursuing health care.

“The effect is monumental," says Fornazzari. "Even though it's one person and it’s a quarter of their scholarship, they’ll affect so many other people and the ripple effect is insane. Even helping one person become a doctor or become a healthcare worker really helps thousands.”

One of the events the charity is putting on to achieve their goal is a three-on-three basketball tournament on March 12. RHR is looking for groups of five to six people and it costs $15 per person. The tournament also guarantees lunch catered by the Spoke and three games.

Fornazzari believes whatever money they can raise will be incredibly influential to their overall goal. She encourages everyone to get involved, whether through donations or by participating in the basketball tournament.

“We’re not going in there or bringing supplies, it’s more like we’re facilitating Rwanda to rebuild itself,” she says.

For more information about the tournament or to get involved with Rebuilding Health in Rwanda, contact their Facebook page. Tickets for the basketball tournament will be sold online through the registration team and participants can contact galliso@uwo.ca to sign their team up.

0
0
0
0
0

Culture editor for volume 109 and 110, Samah spends her time bingewatching Netflix and sipping Starbucks while critiquing music, film and social media. She's specializing in Women's Studies and minoring in Creative Writing.