Reverie rules Western

Reverie event in the UCC atrium in 2015. 

Samah Ali / GAZETTE

As the last few weeks of class come to a close, some of us may already be feeling the mounting threat of finals. To de-stress, you can look forward to a study break by celebrating the arts on campus with Reverie starting tomorrow.

Artists from all walks of Western life will be showing off their talent as part of the annual arts festival, taking place Monday, March 13 through to Thursday, March 16. Many faculties and student organizations have collaborated this year to bring Western a collection of events and exhibitions. The collaborative effort ensures there will be something to inspire everyone.

The festivities begin Monday at 4 p.m. with the return of Juno award nominated singer/songwriter Craig Cardiff running a songwriting workshop in the University Community Centre's (UCC) McKeller Room. On Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, there will be pop up performances at 12:30 p.m. on the atrium stage in the UCC.

If pop up performance isn’t your artistic style, kick back and relax at the paint night de-stressor on Wednesday. Whether you’re the next Picasso or just super bummed about an exam, you’re invited to join this student-run art class from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at The Wave.

Also on Wednesday night, Nuit Violette returns for its third year. From 9:30 p.m. until 11 p.m., the UCC Atrium will be transformed into a celebration of multimedia art, inspired by Toronto's outdoor arts festival, Nuit Blanche.

Closing out the week is a slam poetry event Thursday night from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., hosted by the Coterie, the Arts and Humanities Students' Council and the USC's campus events committee.

“I'm really looking forward to continuing to create such an open and creative space again this year,” says Coterie president Laura Brooks on the success of last year’s poetry slam during Reverie.

“What’s different this year is that the slam will be taking place at The Spoke which I think will help to create a better atmosphere for poetry," Brooks says. "Since The Spoke is a place everyone is familiar with and comfortable in, I really feel like it will give the event a cozier and more personal feel."

Last-minute performers are welcome to sign up at the door, though Brooks encourages anyone who is considering performing to check out the Coterie's Facebook page to sign up now.

Why is supporting the arts important? For Brooks, it’s about the connections:

“An arts festival is unique in the sense that not only are student sharing, but students are sharing such personal aspects of themselves. You can make such a genuine and immediate connection with someone because of their art.”

Events like Nuit Violette which bring together music, traditional art and new forms of digital art into one night, demonstrate the benefits of students from different faculties working together.

Every week is a good week to appreciate the arts on campus, but if you had to pick just one, March 13 to March 16 is the perfect week to get out there and get inspired. 

0
0
0
0
0