Roll Up the Rim, the popular wintertime promotion, is back again for its annual prize-winning contest.

On Western campus, while students are spotted rolling, biting or ripping off their cup rims with excitement or disappointment, EnviroWestern, a University Student Council student service that promotes environmental sustainability, has made an event with their own spin Roll up the Rim - Refill to Win.

According to EnviroWestern, 12,000 single-use coffee cups are disposed of daily on Western campus, and a great portion of them end up in the wrong bin. Coffee cups have been recyclable in London since 2014, but people still throw them into the trash and paper waste inappropriately ends up in the landfill. 

That's why EnvironWestern introduced Refill to Win to promote the use of reusable mugs. Students who their own mugs at participating locations, such as the Spoke and residences, receive a ballot in addition to the regular 10 cent discount. The ballot can be submitted online to find out if a prize is won. Prizes include a mystery Instant Party package at Palasad or a $100 gift card to Exodus London Escape Rooms.

Chain coffee shops and eateries contribute tremendously to paper cup consumption on campus, and contests like Roll Up the Rim may discourage students' use of reusable coffee mugs. For example, Tim's employees may offer a paper cup for reusable mug users to participate in the contest, defeating the purpose of reusable mugs.  

On the other hand, organizations like the EnviroWestern constantly introduce initiatives on waste reduction and events that promote environmental consciousness.  

At a university like Western, students are surrounded by consumer space and commodities (the University Community Centre being the most prominent example). Students live on caffeine, and we love free stuff. There's nothing wrong with that, but let’s not let consumer culture diminish our environmental consciousness. Sacrifice some unnecessary calories and use a reusable mug. So, Roll Up the Rim or Refill to Win?

Refill to Win runs from March 12th to the end of the month. Participating locations can be found on the event page.

0
0
0
0
0