Santa Clarita Diet
Saeed Adyani / Netflix

Program: Santa Clarita Diet

Starring: Drew Barrymore, Timothy Olyphant

Genre: Comedy/Horror

Synopsis: Married couple Sheila and Joel are leading an idealized suburban life when Sheila suddenly dies and starts exhibiting zombie-like behaviour. Together they try to juggle the demands of having a flesh-eating zombie in the family while maintaining normal work and personal lives.

My Take: In the context of the seemingly endless slew of Netflix originals released in the last two years, I’m happy to report that Santa Clarita Diet definitely surpasses letdowns like Fuller House and The Ranch. It also, however, fails to come anywhere close to Netflix classics like Orange is the New Black or House of Cards. Admittedly, I am someone who will watch anything Netflix makes at least once. But I was pleasantly surprised by how many laughs the show got out of me right off the bat. It quickly finds its footing, walking the line between funny and over-the-top in a mostly successful balance. A perpetual Drew Barrymore hater, even I have to admit her character wins you over.

Sure, there are some almost cringe-worthy jokes and yes, there’s definitely a tendency to repeat the funniest bits until they stop making you laugh. But the show also never attempts to take itself seriously and as long as you don’t either, it’s worth the watch.

The premise tells you everything you need to know: they aren’t trying to surprise you, just entertain you. You’re safe to scroll through Instagram while watching without falling behind. You could look for subliminal messages like a commentary on the banality of suburban life, but I recommend simply going along for the ride. Maybe you won’t be any smarter or wiser for it, but you’ll probably be in a better mood. 

Worth the Netflix?: Yes. It delivers all the corny lines and gore that it promises.

Worth the Chill?: No, unless you’re into vomit and human flesh.

0
0
0
0
0