Business 2257 is one of the most demanding courses at Western University. Many find it intimidating to participate in class discussion, but as you meet the people in your section, you'll realize that a couple of them are just like you. Here are the five types of people you’ll meet in Business 2257.

The Brain 

via GIPHY 

This student knows they’re going to the Ivey Business School and makes sure everyone else knows it too. When the lecturer describes the accounting process, they casually chime in with stories from their summer internship at Procter & Gamble. They don’t do the cases, but somehow they can do the cost of goods available for sale on the spot. Maybe they’ll let you be in their feasibility project group, but probably not.

The Mooch

via GIPHY

You worked hard to fill in your opening balances, to post your transactions and to maybe even make it to closing entries, but this kid thinks you’ll give up all those potential participation marks for free. You receive this Facebook message at 11:45 p.m. the night before class: “Yo, did you do the the case for tomorrow?”

If you say yes, they’ll want a picture of your T-Charts. If you say no, it will be awkward if you participate in class tomorrow. Pro tip: play it safe and pretend you never saw it. 

The Hungover One

via GIPHY

It’s Tuesday morning, and they stumble in just as class starts. You can tell by their dark sunglasses that they were at Jack’s dollar beers last night — and so can everyone else. Pretty soon you can’t tell if they’re leaning back in their chair or actually sleeping. Either way, they’re praying they don’t get cold called to talk about the residual value of production machinery.

The Ghost 

via GIPHY

What’s their name again? They sit in the back corner, never raise their hand and never do the cases. The first time you realize they exist is before your exam when they ask, “Wait, we were allowed a cheat sheet?” With the amount of people that love to hear themselves talk, this may be the most likeable person in your section.

The Participation Seeker 

via GIPHY

No one loves participating like this student who speaks at least five times a class and is visibly upset when they aren’t picked. They’re always ready to answer easy questions like, “Who are we today?” and “What is the opening balance of inventory?” They’re also willing to ask ridiculous questions just so that they can get check marks.

Classic comments include

• Is it okay if I made that into two transactions?
  • What if I depreciated this asset first?
  • If I got the same answer can I do it my way?
5
34
1
1
3