Western Wellness Week is in full swing. The mental-health oriented awareness campaign features a host of events planned by various organizations on campus.

Monday’s events included Zumba and pilates sessions as well as therapy dogs sessions organized by Student Health Services. For those that are upset for having missed the pups, fear not: they will return on Wednesday.

Monday was also the start of the week-long food drive at the Western Book Store aimed at increasing the stock of the free and anonymous on-campus food bank.

Wellness Week draws inspiration from another themed week at Western University.

“It’s a similar format to International Week in that there are a few keynote events but the majority of events are planned by different areas on campus,” says Deborah Coward, communications and publications manager. Coward highlights Neil Pasricha’s sold-out talk on Tuesday as one of the keynote events. Pasricha's appearance is organized by the Wellness Education Centre and is part of the Fairmount Foundation Health and Wellness Lecture Series. Pasricha — an author and motivational speaker — will be in the Mustang Lounge on Tuesday for a speech focused on improving all aspects of one’s life, from academics to relationships.

“Another cool thing that launched is the Leadership in Wellness Award of Recognition that nominates professors who promote the mental health of students in their daily work,” says Coward.

The award was given to 10 professors this fall, and a new round of nominations will begin in January.

Beyond these high-profile events, there are many other programs available this week. These include the aforementioned therapy dogs as well as healthy eating planning sessions for graduate students organized by the Wellness Education Centre. 

Western's Wellness Week runs until this Friday, Oct. 6.