Locomotive Espresso

Coffee shops can be a quintessential part of student life. Whether you’re looking for great espresso, a nice study space or an aesthetically pleasing backdrop for an Instagram photo, London’s got you covered. Here are a handful of the cutest coffee shops to check out this school year:

London Bicycle Café

The London Bicycle Café is exactly what it sounds like: half coffee shop, half bike shop. It’s a warm and cozy spot to browse different types of bikes, get a tune-up, or just curl up with a latté and read. While you’re there, be sure to ask the baristas about safe ways to bike in London and affordable bike options for students.

Backroads Coffeehouse & Cakery Inc.

This quaint coffee shop resides one block east of Adelaide. It features both cozy chairs and tall stools to fit any visitor's seating needs. Plus, it's community engaged, occasionally hosting gatherings such as its June Beginner Crochet event in collaboration with the Women's Events Committee.

Well today was magical. Our first time being open on a Sunday was a massive success. Thank you so much to our customers for all the love and support you show us— we are more grateful than you know. And a huge thank you to Ashley, friend, talented maker, and natural born teacher, for honouring us with the opportunity to host a @woolymaple Crochet Workshop here at Backroads. It was SO. FUN. to see it in action! We can’t wait to sign up for one ourselves!! Don’t forget, you can pick up some adorable @woolymaple camper mugs and coffee cozies right here in our café any day of the week. . Hope everyone has a fantastic evening. We’ll see y’all tomorrow at 7:30am for your Monday morning coffee!

A post shared by Backroads Coffeehouse & Cakery (@backroadsinc) on Jun 10, 2018 at 3:22pm PDT

Fireroasted Coffee Co.

Fireroasted Coffee Co. is a campus staple. The London-based coffee company, which roasts all of its fair-trade coffee in the Old East Village, has multiple cozy locations throughout the city, such as at 105 King Street, where you can hang out and study.

...that we know of. 👽🤔

A post shared by Fire Roasted Coffee Co. (@fireroastedcafe) on Feb 15, 2018 at 6:06am PST

Black Walnut Bakery Café

Similarly to Fireroasted, Black Walnut roasts their own coffee in-house, offering up delicious and unique blends. They serve delicious in-house pastries, like their “cruffins” (croissant-muffins) and pies. While the lack of Wi-Fi means that Black Walnut isn’t an ideal spot to study, it’s a great place to grab coffee with a friend or to catch up on some reading.

How you doing

A post shared by Black Walnut Bakery Cafe (@black_walnut_bakery_cafe) on Jul 27, 2018 at 6:17am PDT

Plant Matter Cafe

Plant Matter Cafe offers up lattés, donuts, smoothies and a full food menu — and it’s all vegan. The cute, plant-based coffee shop is located near the Richmond and Oxford intersection, and it’s a great place to get some studying done or grab a bite to eat.

Locomotive Espresso

Locomotive Espresso serves some of the best coffee in town. They exclusively feature Pilot, a Toronto-based coffee roaster, and their baristas are all skilled and knowledgeable when it comes to espresso. Beyond great coffee, Locomotive features a warm ambience, an affordable toast bar and delicious pastries from local bakeries! They even have magazines if you didn't bring your own.

10Eighteen

Located east of Adelaide, 10Eighteen is a bit of a hike from campus — but it’s worth it. The beautiful coffee shop features spacious tables to study at, delicious coffee and amazing food. Whether you want a vegan cheese board or a slice of quiche, there’s something for everyone at this hip spot.

10
0
0
0
0

Gabrielle is the opinions editor for Volume 112. She is always looking for fresh perspectives and opinions from Western's community! Pitch an article at gabrielle.drolet@westerngazette.ca, and find her on Twitter @GabrielleDrolet.