Western's admiration for Harry Potter continues through Dumbledore's Army, Aug. 21, 2018. Michael Conley / GAZETTE

Whether you hope to make friends, try something new or keep up with your favourite hobbies, joining a club is an easy way to enhance your first-year experience. With 213 clubs to choose from, there's a spot for every Mustang to call home. To acquaint you with the many clubs offered at Western, here’s a breakdown of some of the clubs that may appeal to you.

Popular Clubs

If you want to meet new people, try these clubs. The most popular clubs are educational societies for pre-med, pre-law and pre-business students, among others. The Canadian Asian International Students’ Association is also at the top of the list. CAISA hosts an annual fashion show, which draws in hundreds of participants and attendees. Additionally, the Western Climbing Club is a unique crowd-pleaser. They host rock-climbing events every Sunday, offering students a great reason to escape campus.

Special Interest Clubs

No need to drop your favourite hobbies just because you’re at school: Western has clubs for all interests. Want to make your Pitch Perfect dreams come true? Join The Acapella Project. For other performers out there, try the UWO Breakers Club, UWO Dance Force or the Comedy Club. If you prefer something low key, join a gaming club such as the Billiards Club, the Board Game Club or the Association of Role Players. We’ve got an Art Club, Fashion & Lifestyle Society, Automotive Society and many more clubs to satisfy a wide variety of special interests.

Quirky Clubs

If you can name it, Western probably has it! Students can take up knitting, learn sign language or go fishing with Western’s diverse range of clubs. The Paper Art Club and Juggling Club accept students regardless of skill level, making these activities especially accessible. If you’re looking to savour the taste of classic refreshments, join the Tea Club, Coffee Club or Western Foodies. A much-loved quirky club is Dumbledore’s Army. Although they don’t fight you-know-who, they do connect students through a love of the Harry Potter universe.

The Tea Club offers tea connoisseurs an excuse to unwind together, Aug. 21, 2018. Michael Conley / GAZETTE

Caring Clubs

Many of our students have a knack for philanthropy. We have on-campus host chapters of Heart & Stroke, UNICEF and Amnesty International, as well as local organizations such as London Bridges and SwimAbility London. Crafting for a Cure is also a unique cause which brings creativity and friendship to hospitalized kids in London. If you love allyship, check out The Indigenous Allies Society or Active Minds, Western’s premier mental health club. Additionally, Spectrum UWO offers a social network for Western's LGBTQ2+ community. If you’re unsure which cause suits you, join Rotaract to work with various charitable efforts and find your niche.

New Clubs

These 18 new clubs could use some love for their first official year on the roster:

Advancements in Medicine Society

ALS Western

Canadians for Justice & Peace in the Middle East

Children Health Improvement

Clash Royale Western

Concussion Awareness Society

Crohn’s and Colitis Club of Western

Lupus Awareness Club

Mathematics Society

Organ Advocacy Initiative

Run with Us

The Butterfly Effect UWO

The Unmentionables at Western

Western Crypto

Western for Ooch

Western Real Estate Club

Western University Technology Review

Zua Western

Don’t forget to check out all of Western’s clubs during Clubs Week 2018 from September 17 to 21.