Matt Davison
Courtesy of @westernuScience

Western University science students can say hello to their new dean of the Faculty of Science, Matt Davison.

Davison is currently the director of Western's School of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences and has been a faculty member since 1999. He holds a bachelor's degree in applied sciences from the University of Toronto and a master's degree and PhD in applied mathematics from Western. Prior to working at Western, Davison completed post-doctoral research in Switzerland and was an investment banker at Deutsche Bank Canada. He is also the president of the Canadian Applied and Industrial Math Society.

Davison has big plans for the faculty and emphasized the need to give students experiences outside of exams and labs.

“We need to create more rich educational experiences for students; things like internships and courses that have interactive components, giving students the opportunity to go out into the community and apply their skills,” Davison said.

The new dean was selected after an eight month international search to fill the position. Davison was recommended unanimously by the a search committee, which was chaired by Provost Janice Deakin and included both science and non-science faculty members. A graduate and undergraduate student were also involved in the search.

Davidson also hopes to incorporate more interdisciplinary thinking and problem solving into the science faculty.

“The current world of science is very interdisciplinary," he said. "A lot of the problems of the world, aren't just chemistry problems or math problems. My hope is that we can assemble an interdisciplinary teams with students from across science and across the whole university to help address some particular problems to help Canada and the world.”

Davison is excited and optimistic about the future and looks forward to leading his faculty to new heights. He begins as dean of science on July 1, 2018. 

“I am passionate about science, I am passionate about Western and I am really looking forward to leading a great team of Western science folks and Western University folks in order to really make some of our dreams come true,” Davison said.

0
0
0
0
0