Deanna Vezina
Courtesy of Brescia Student Council website.

Deanna Vezina will be the next Brescia University College Students' Council president after getting a vote of confidence from the student body last week.

She is currently vice-president communications for BUCSC and a third-year French student at Brescia.

Her platform consists of ideas to improve on space, support and opportunities at Brescia, as well as trying to make the council activities more accessible to current Brescia students.

“One of the biggest projects I am going to work on is creating more space for students to study and work on group projects,” Vezina said in an email. “I also want to bring more volunteer opportunities to our students from this city.... London has a lot to offer and I would love for Brescia students to get the most out of their time here.”

Vezina also hopes to strengthen the communication between Brescia and the University Students' Council, helping Brescia students to feel more represented and involved on main campus.

“I hope to continue to advocate for Brescia students, especially because many of them don’t feel that they have enough representation on the USC,” said Vezina. “Brescia students often feel disconnected from Western — we talk about the ‘Brescia Bubble’ or ‘Top of the Hill Syndrome,’ where we feel isolated. I am hoping to work with the USC to help advertise these events and services that affiliate students are welcome to participate in and access.”

Current BUCSC president Caitie Cheeseman said Vezina’s transition into the position has begun and the process is going smoothly.

“We have the advantage that since Deanna has already been an executive member, she has some information about the position in advance,” said Cheeseman. “A lot of our transition work is more so focused on core issues and awareness.... She’s going to be attending board meetings as well as meetings ... concerned with core topics on the minds of Brescia students.”

Vezina ran for president unopposed and said the lack of competition is due to a number of reasons.

“The majority of our current council is either graduating or in first or second year,” said Vezina. “I think that many of these younger students are intimidated by such a big role, especially since none of them are currently holding an executive position.... Thankfully, many of our executive positions for next year have sparked interest in these younger students.”

Cheeseman also stated it wasn’t the lack of qualified candidates or lack of interest in the presidential position, but rather an issue of where the student is at that point in their life when deciding whether or not to campaign.

“I think Deanna, even though she was unopposed, ran a very competitive campaign to raise awareness in regards to the issues related to Brescia students and creating a positive mind for solutions for them,” said Cheeseman.

Vezina named Cheeseman as a mentor whom she looks up to and who taught her much about leadership on the council. She also expressed her excitement in the recruiting process for her team and is looking forward to start her term as BUCSC president.

0
0
0
0
0

Grace is a news editor for volume 111 at the Gazette. She is a fourth-year neuroscience student minoring in French studies. If you want to reach Grace, email her at grace@westerngazette.ca