A crowd of people showed up today at London Hall to support the kick-off of Business Cares' 18th annual food drive.

Business Cares supports the London and Area Food Bank. Students who were part of the High School Project at the Grand Theatre also came out to perform songs from A Christmas Carol, in line with this year’s #HumbugToHunger campaign.

Wayne Dunn, chair of the Business Cares Food Drive, said the food donations have had a major impact on the London community.

“The impact is huge. Without the campaign and all the generous people helping us, London wouldn’t be the same,” Dunn said.

The food bank serves 3,500 families in London per month and 38 per cent of those people are under the age of 17.

Business Cares has worked with Western for 13 years, said Scott May, coordinator of Western Cares — the campus component of the city-wide food drive.

People can also make monetary donations that are used to buy fresh produce and other items that are quick to expire.

There are over 20 spots on campus where donations can be made, according to May. 

Last year, Business Cares was able to collect 325,000 pounds of food donations. The goal is to beat last year’s donations by one pound, so everyone is asked to come out and support the cause.

“Any help from anybody up at campus here would be much appreciated,” Dunn said. “Western’s done a great job for us, and it’s great having the kick off here.”

The food drive will run from Dec. 1 until Dec. 22. 

0
0
0
0
0

Sabrina is pursuing her second year as a News Editor here at the Gazette. She is a fourth year International Relations student at Western University.