Western_UC Tower

Senate will debate rules for an open discussion and debate period at future meetings, moving the jurisdiction for athletes from the Faculty of Health Science and receive an update on Western's budget practices at their Friday meeting.

In response to concerns from last year's crisis of confidence in the university's governance system, one of the proposals coming to Senate is the opportunity for a 30 minute period where senators can ask questions of the administration. Questions can be submitted 48 hours in advance to the meeting and circulated so there may be responses prepared for the meeting.

A motion to change the reporting structure for athletics to the associate vice-president student experience from the dean of health science is also on the table. It notes there have been a number of changes since 1971 when Western Sport and Recreation Services were first put under the Faculty of Physical Education and Athletics, which is now the Faculty of Health Science.

The motion adds that this change aligns with the School of Kinesiology's shift in emphasis "to one less focused on sport and one aligned with human movement and health." The Kinesiology Council endorsed this motion almost unanimously, with 20 in favour, one opposed and one abstention.

Finally, background on Western's approach to planning and budgeting will be presented to senators. While the university has seen a number of years where enrolment and revenue has grown, that may no longer be the case. Western is now moving into a "period of constrained revenues and continued increases to cost pressures."

Enrolments are no longer increasing, government grants are being reduced while tuition increases are capped and costs, such as employee salaries and student aid, increase. The university will go from 8.3 per cent average revenue growth between 2002-03 and 2010-11 to a projected 2.5 per cent per year from 2015-16 on. The presentation comes in anticipation of the annual budget, which is usually tabled in March.

The meeting will be held on Friday at 1:30 p.m. in UCC Room 56.

0
0
0
0
0