510A0015.JPG

A high school graduation photo of Andrea Christidis sits on the family's dining room table. 

The drunk driver who struck and killed first-year Western student Andrea Christidis in October 2015 was sentenced to five years in prison on Thursday.

Last year, 25-year-old London resident Jared DeJong fatally struck first-year student Christidis on Western's campus on his way home from the campus bar, the Spoke. At the time, DeJong had 0.171 mg of alcohol in 100 ml of blood — more than double the legal limit.  

Today, at his final sentencing hearing and amidst a packed courtroom, the judge ruled DeJong will serve five years in a penitentiary as well as 10 years of driving prohibition upon his release. 

DeJong could be eligible for parole in as few as 20 months.

The judge acknowledged that although there were mitigating factors such as Dejong's youthful age, unlikeliness to reoffend and previously clear criminal record, the sentencing must be "exemplary denunciatory and act as a deterrent" for other youth considering getting behind the wheel while drunk. 

0
0
0
0
0

Editor-in-Chief

Amy is editor-in-chief of the Gazette and a Faculty of Information and Media Studies graduate. She started working at the Gazette in February 2014. Want to give her a story tip or feedback? Email editor@westerngazette.ca