At the Senate meeting on Friday, Provost Janice Deakin said it was unfortunate that the picture of the ‘Western Lives Matter’ banner on Reunion Weekend was considered to be the motivation for the University’s investigation. 

“Nor did the university release say that the four young men in that particular image are being investigated,” Deakin said.

Deakin went on to say that the ‘Western Lives Matter’ image was only a small piece of a number of images, symbols, etc. that were under investigation.

Approximately two weeks ago, associate vice-president student experience Jana Luker addressed the ‘Western Lives Matter’ poster in a media release.

The media release said, “Western University considers the ‘Western Lives Matter’ banner to be contrary to the university’s values. In conjunction with Campus Community Police Service (CCPS) and London Police Service (LPS), Western is investigating this matter to determine whether individuals involved will be dealt with under Western’s Code of Student Conduct.”

Deakin confirmed that after reviewing all of the material, Campus Police found no breach of the student code of conduct by the four individuals in the image.

An unprecedented revelation since Western usually does not comment on code of conduct violations.