Eddy Avila Centrespread- Jenny Jay Blackwood-6.jpg

Outgoing speaker Samir Hamadache (right) shares a moment with outgoing president Eddy Avila (left) at a prior 2016-17 USC council meeting. 

Jenny Jay / GAZETTE

The first 2017-18 USC council meeting of the year had a number of items on the agenda. 

Right off the bat, the USC went into an in-camera meeting after a motion from president-elect Tobi Solebo.

According to reports, council among other items, discussed whether vice-president-elect Landon Tulk should run for the Ontario Undergraduate Students Alliance (OUSA) presidency.

Later in the meeting, Solebo publicly apologized for the incoming executives' actions during the student programs' officer election. 

When the public meeting resumed, council went right into selecting chairs for standing committees including: student experience, student advocacy and governance and finance. The Gazette has not obtained the results yet.

The speaker of council position was acclaimed with Madison Ing gaining the position.  

The second motion, which involved implementing a new councillor accountability and discipline procedure, passed after some debate. The third motion to provide a deputy speaker terms of reference passed with 85 per cent of the vote in favour.

Nap pods might finally come to Western as motion number four tasked the USC to look into the feasibility of having nap rooms on campus. After some debate, the motion passed with 68 per cent of councillors voting in favour of it.

Motion five, supporting transgender and non-binary students on campus, passed unanimously. 

Next on the agenda was incorporating a monthly town hall for students. Some councillors spoke about concerns over the feasibility of hosting town halls and if it would really increase student engagement with the USC. The motion ultimately passed.

The outgoing USC executive addressed council one final time and wished them luck. 

Council will meet once over the summer on Sunday, July 16 before resuming on a monthly schedule in September. 

1
0
0
1
4

Moses Monterroza is a news editor for Volume 110 of the Gazette. Previously, he was an arts and life editor for Volume 109, and staff writer for Volume 108. You can reach him at moses@westerngazette.ca.

Managing Editor of Content

Rita is the managing editor of content. She was previously a news editor for two years and recently graduated with an honours specialization in political science.